College Security Tips
Written on January 17, 2012
Horizon College Security is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all the members of the college or campus it protects, here are just a few tips to help maintain a safe enviroment:
- Show a confident attitude and be alert and aware of your surroundings. Follow common sense safety precautions at all times.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Walk with a group; utilize Shuttle and Escort Services.
- Always use pedestrian crossing signals to cross streets.
- Always keep your doors locked (residence, office, and vehicle). Never prop open doors – this is an invitation for trespassers.
- Keep doors of rooms and vehicles locked.
- Never let other people use your keys, ID Cards, or building access cards to anyone.
- Immediately report all maintenance problems, such as broken locks and windows.
- Never allow people to “piggy-back” or enter buildings after you gain access.
- Always use secure locks on lockers and bicycles (U-Locks).
- Always remove valuable items from your parked vehicles.
- Never leave your personal items (computers, books, electronics, etc.) unattended.
If you are a crime victim, report the crime to the police as soon as possible. Detailed descriptions of the suspects are invaluable to police officers and investigators, as are details such a license plate numbers or types or vehicles.